Painting Vinyl Siding for Repair and Remodeling
Traditionally, painting vinyl siding has been nearly impossible to do well. Traditional exterior home paints did not work well because of the continual expansion and contraction of vinyl siding during alternating periods of sunlight followed by shade or darkness. Using paint to repair vinyl siding was not a good solution.
New paint products introduced to the market over the past few years adhere beautifully to vinyl siding. In fact, most manufacturers are so confident in their products that they offer a warranty--just make sure you follow the painting instructions step-by-step.
Vinyl paint manufacturers also recommend strongly that you paint your vinyl siding only in a color that is matching or lighter than the current siding color. Dark paint colors can damage vinyl siding if it soaks up too much heat, which is why manufacturers typically offer the product in lighter colors. Don't risk the need for vinyl siding repair by painting it with a color that will attract heat, especially if you live in a warm, sunny climate.
Before you paint vinyl siding, make sure to wash it thoroughly. Manufacturers recommend cleaning with a solution of 1/3 cup powdered laundry detergent, 2/3 cup powdered household cleaner, and 1 gallon of water. Make sure to substitute a quart of bleach for water if you come across any mildew. Wash the siding from bottom to top using a sponge or brush and then rinse from the top down with the most powerful jet on your garden hose.
Painting as a method of vinyl siding repair may go against conventional wisdom, but with these tips you should enjoy your beautiful siding for many years to come.
- Inspecting siding: winter maintenance and repair
- Vinyl siding: Which brand is right for your home?
- Vinyl siding: a guide to the lingo
- Is It Green? Vinyl Siding Considered
- What Can You Expect to Pay for a Vinyl Siding Job?
- Vinyl Siding Benefits: More Than Low Cost
- The Best Vinyl Siding Estimate Isn't the Cheapest
- 5 Important Vinyl Siding Terms Defined
- 5 Vinyl Siding Facts You May Not Know
- Ladder Jacks Can Make Your Do-It-Yourself Siding Project Easier
- DOs and DON'Ts for Selecting New Vinyl Siding
- Vinyl Siding Tips