DOs and DON'Ts for Selecting New Vinyl Siding
Vinyl siding is an extremely popular choice for homeowners looking to protect and upgrade their homes. Affordability, durability, variety, and ease of maintenance all contribute to its popularity. Before you rush out to get yours fitted, however, here are a few points to consider:
- DO choose a look you can live with--vinyl siding can last up to 50 years!
- DON'T install thin vinyl siding if it has to withstand extremely warm or cold weather. You save money in the short-term but thin siding can easily warp in the heat or crack in cold weather.
- DO take professional advice about the most suitable vinyl siding. Vinyl siding is available in a range of thicknesses, and the locking system and composition of the materials vary from one manufacturer to another.
- DON'T opt for vibrant colors if you live in a hot, sunny climate. Sunshine fades the color and your siding can begin to look old sooner than you'd like. However, colored siding fades more slowly than paint because of the UV protection it contains.
- DO ask about wind resistance and any warranty that comes with your vinyl siding. You want your siding to remain attached during a storm!
- DON'T do it yourself unless you really, really know what you're doing. A bad job can be a disaster and cost more in the long term. The siding is not actually attached to the house, like wooden siding, because it expands and contracts as the temperature changes. If it is hung too loosely, it can be noisy. Too tight and the ventilation can be poor. Water can also leak inside if the siding is not properly fitted.
- DO use a reputable contractor. A professional job can keep your home well insulated, protected against the elements, bug resistant, and looking good for many years.
By keeping these tips in mind, you can select the appropriate vinyl siding for your home to protect and keep it looking fresh for years to come.
- Inspecting siding: winter maintenance and repair
- Vinyl siding: Which brand is right for your home?
- Vinyl siding: a guide to the lingo
- Is It Green? Vinyl Siding Considered
- What Can You Expect to Pay for a Vinyl Siding Job?
- Vinyl Siding Benefits: More Than Low Cost
- The Best Vinyl Siding Estimate Isn't the Cheapest
- 5 Important Vinyl Siding Terms Defined
- 5 Vinyl Siding Facts You May Not Know
- Ladder Jacks Can Make Your Do-It-Yourself Siding Project Easier
- Painting Vinyl Siding for Repair and Remodeling
- Vinyl Siding Tips