We regularly sample the contractor market to collect vinyl siding cost information, so that we can provide consumers good data for budgeting and negotiation. The first step to understanding the cost of vinyl siding, is to understand the cost structure of an installation job. Vinyl siding is more than a building material, it is a building system that requires different parts including siding panels, soffit, fascia, trim, corners and mounting accessories.
Vinyl siding typically costs between $3.00 to $7.00 per square foot, not including installation and other accessories. Vinyl siding prices also vary on where you purchase your vinyl siding from, such as buying directly from a distributor (rare, unless you are a contractor) or through a certified installer.
Let's take a house with an external square footage of 2000 square feet as our installation example. No soffit or fascia were included in this bid. This bid was from a fully bonded and insured construction company with 0.46 thick vinyl siding. Please remember the prices will vary and these are only estimates to give you an idea.
Vinyl siding: 2000 square feet x $5.00 (vinyl siding) = $10000, including vinyl siding installation, labor, and 1/4 insulation foam.
Builder's Permit: $150.00
Garbage rental: $175.00
Cost to have the old siding removed: $1,000
J-Channels: 55 pieces at $3.67 each = $201.85
Starter Strips: 15 pieces at $2.87 each = $43.05
Inside Corner: 8 pieces at $5.67 each = $45.36
Outside Corner: 2 pieces at $11.51 each = $23.02
Finish Strips: 6 pieces at $3.35 each = $20.10
Outlets/Hydrants/Vents: These are used for light fixtures, plug-in outlets, hydrant faucets, and to replace gable vents - $225.00 total
Shutters: 10 pieces at $42.00 each = $420
Nails for the siding: $35.00
Delivery charge if applicable: $37.75
Total Vinyl Siding Cost for this estimate without taxes would be $12,376.13. Remember this is just an estimate and your final price will depend on the vinyl siding you pick as well as many other factors. Keep in mind that this does NOT include soffit, fascia or any aluminum to be wrapped around the windows. You should also consider putting in better insulation boards (better than the 1/4 insulation boards if possible) or the insulated vinyl siding, which would save you money in the long run, but would cost you more money up front.
For those installing vinyl siding themselves, you would need to purchase special tools needed to install vinyl siding and remove the labor costs from the final price. You may also want to factor in how many hours it would take you to remove (if applicable) and install the vinyl siding on your house.
If you know you are a pretty good handyman, then you could install vinyl siding yourself. If you are unsure, it would be a good idea to hire someone. Since you are paying several thousands of dollars purchasing what is needed, you should be realistic and make a wise decision on whether or not you can really install siding yourself or leave it up to a professional, especially since the vinyl siding you choose will be on your house for a long time.
If you have some other bids with fascia, soffit and other accessories included, please email us the list of prices and we can add this to our data. This will help other consumers get better vinyl siding cost estimates.
To finance your new vinyl siding, you may want to consider taking advantage of the equity built up in your home with an FHA loan.
- Vinyl siding cost: Is spring the cheapest time for installation?
- Vinyl siding: sometimes it just makes dollars and cents
- Planning a siding installation? Sooner may be better than later
- Insulated vinyl siding: A hot idea for keeping homes cool
- Vinyl siding costs: 5 architectural influencers
- Insulated siding: local programs offer financial assistance
- Save on vinyl siding: install in the fall
- New vinyl siding: finding the best kind
- 5 best reasons to buy premium-gauge vinyl siding
- Exterior siding cost: How much is installation labor?
- 3 top veneers -- with siding costs to match
- Protect your vinyl siding cost: Use pre-screened contractors
- R-value and your vinyl siding cost
- Waterproofing: Add it to your siding cost
- Increased energy efficiency could affect vinyl siding prices
- 3 tips for negotiating vinyl siding costs with contractors
- Installation charges and total siding cost
- The truth about contractor markup and siding cost
- One stop shopping saves on siding cost
- Does redwood fit into your siding cost budget?
- Better vinyl siding: cost for repairs less likely
- Siding cost: include water intrusion prevention
- 3 little-known tips for finding lowest vinyl siding prices
- How fascia trim affects siding cost
- Roll new gutters into vinyl siding cost
- 3 steps to solid vinyl siding cost estimates
- From beginning to end: siding prices add up in the details
- Wood or fiber cement siding? Cost could decide
- Siding cost: vinyl is affordablity winner
- 5 ways to negotiate siding cost
- From bargain to upscale, siding cost makes the grade
- Vinyl siding cost makes faux brick a natural choice
- 3 reasons contractors mark up siding prices
- Have you calculated your long term siding cost?
- 3 negotiation tips to lower fiber cement costs
- Is siding cost your deal-breaker?
- Lower your vinyl siding cost: do 3 tasks yourself
- Keep vinyl siding cost low with aluminum trim
- Wood siding vs. vinyl siding: prices could be a deal-breaker
- 3 crucial aspects of fiber cement prices
- How jobsite conditions affect vinyl siding cost
- How much of your fiber cement cost is labor?
- Fiber cement cost: 3 smart reasons to hire a contractor
- 3 secrets for finding lower vinyl siding prices
- Compare bids for best siding cost and save money
- Decipher fiber cement cost
- Score the best fiber cement prices
- 9 vinyl siding costs your estimate should include
- 3 DIY tips for vinyl siding cost savings
- Tips on siding cost, tax savings and ROI
- By the numbers: Reynolds vinyl siding cost
- How much does Gentek siding cost?
- Include Soffit Installation in your Siding Cost for Long-Term Savings
- What Do Your Vinyl Siding Prices Include?
- How much does Alcoa siding cost?
- Find a Good Repair Contractor: Keep Fiber Cement Prices Under Control
- Siding Cost and Contractors
- Home Siding Products and Long-term Costs: The Bottom Line
- Home Siding: Where You Live Determines What You Pay
- DIY Repairs and Fiber Cement Cost
- How to Figure Fiber Cement Cost for your DIY Project
- Save Money on Your Vinyl Siding Cost: Do the Job Yourself
- Cleaning vs. Replacement: Keeping Vinyl Siding Prices Down
- How Safety Affects Your Fiber Cement Cost
- DIY Vinyl Siding Cost: How Much Should You Figure for Labor?
- Why Are Fiber Cement Prices Higher?
- Fiber cement cost: how much of the price is materials?
- Vinyl Siding Cost Factors: Keeping the Lid on Lead Paint
- Vinyl Siding Cost Savings: Energy-Efficiency and More
- Cost of Vinyl Siding: Three Ways to Stay on Budget
- Quality Determines How Much New Vinyl Siding Costs
- How Much Does Vinyl Siding Cost? The Bottom Line.
- How to Keep the Cost of Vinyl Siding Projects Down
- Tips to Help You Research Vinyl Siding Costs
- Evaluating Contractor Markups on Vinyl Siding
- Vinyl Siding Costs: Comparing Premium vs. Value
- Negotiating for Your Vinyl Siding Cost Estimate
- Vinyl Clapboard vs. Vinyl Cedar Shake Siding: Cost Discussion
- Vinyl Siding - Costs are Low, Style is High
- Vinyl Siding Cost - Brand Comparisons
- Vinyl Siding Cost Factors Fluctuate with the Economy