How Safety Affects Your Fiber Cement Cost
Working with fiber-cement has hidden equipment costs and long-term health risks. When pricing a siding job keep these potentially expensive cost factors in mind.
Some fiber cement products include forms of natural organic fiber and silica you should avoid breathing during the installation process. In its manufactured state fiber-cement is not considered to cause cancer. However, the inhalation of crystalline silica dust, which is in fiber cement during manufacturing, is known to cause lung cancer and silicosis. The moral of the story is to protect yourself when working with fiber cement siding and avoid unnecessary risks.
Hazards of Skimping on Safety to Lower Fiber Cement Cost
You wouldn't work unprotected with asbestos and you shouldn't work unprotected with this siding. Health risks include:
- Upper respiratory system irritation
- Skin and eyes abrasion
- Aggravation of pre-existing asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, and other lung and upper respiratory diseases
The problem is the dust. Cutting, scraping, trimming, and sawing the fiber cement inevitably creates dust.
Work outside if possible and always wear a respirator mask.
Use specialized equipment that reduces the amount of dust in the air and doesn't weaken the structural integrity of installed fiber cement for the best results. This includes an electric variable speed shear kit that produces less dust than other forms of cutting and a 7 ¼-inch circular saw with a dust collector designed specifically for fiber-cement cutting.
First Aid Response to Dust Inhalation
If you breathe the air-born dust get outside and into the fresh air. Flush your skin and eyes with water. A skin moisturizer might help affected skin but avoid trapping tiny dust particles against your skin.
Cutting corners by ignoring respiratory safety to lower your fiber cement cost bottom line may lessen your out-of-pocket expenses now but cost you long-range health problems in the future. Equipment and safety are two fiber-cement cost factors you can't avoid paying.
- Vinyl siding: sometimes it just makes dollars and cents
- Planning a siding installation? Sooner may be better than later
- Insulated vinyl siding: A hot idea for keeping homes cool
- Vinyl siding costs: 5 architectural influencers
- Insulated siding: local programs offer financial assistance
- Save on vinyl siding: install in the fall
- New vinyl siding: finding the best kind
- 5 best reasons to buy premium-gauge vinyl siding
- Exterior siding cost: How much is installation labor?
- 3 top veneers -- with siding costs to match
- Protect your vinyl siding cost: Use pre-screened contractors
- R-value and your vinyl siding cost
- Waterproofing: Add it to your siding cost
- Increased energy efficiency could affect vinyl siding prices
- 3 tips for negotiating vinyl siding costs with contractors
- Installation charges and total siding cost
- The truth about contractor markup and siding cost
- One stop shopping saves on siding cost
- Does redwood fit into your siding cost budget?
- Better vinyl siding: cost for repairs less likely
- Siding cost: include water intrusion prevention
- 3 little-known tips for finding lowest vinyl siding prices
- How fascia trim affects siding cost
- Roll new gutters into vinyl siding cost
- 3 steps to solid vinyl siding cost estimates
- From beginning to end: siding prices add up in the details
- Wood or fiber cement siding? Cost could decide
- Siding cost: vinyl is affordablity winner
- 5 ways to negotiate siding cost
- From bargain to upscale, siding cost makes the grade
- Vinyl siding cost makes faux brick a natural choice
- 3 reasons contractors mark up siding prices
- Have you calculated your long term siding cost?
- 3 negotiation tips to lower fiber cement costs
- Is siding cost your deal-breaker?
- Lower your vinyl siding cost: do 3 tasks yourself
- Keep vinyl siding cost low with aluminum trim
- Wood siding vs. vinyl siding: prices could be a deal-breaker
- 3 crucial aspects of fiber cement prices
- How jobsite conditions affect vinyl siding cost
- How much of your fiber cement cost is labor?
- Fiber cement cost: 3 smart reasons to hire a contractor
- 3 secrets for finding lower vinyl siding prices
- Compare bids for best siding cost and save money
- Decipher fiber cement cost
- Score the best fiber cement prices
- 9 vinyl siding costs your estimate should include
- 3 DIY tips for vinyl siding cost savings
- Tips on siding cost, tax savings and ROI
- By the numbers: Reynolds vinyl siding cost
- How much does Gentek siding cost?
- Include Soffit Installation in your Siding Cost for Long-Term Savings
- What Do Your Vinyl Siding Prices Include?
- How much does Alcoa siding cost?
- Find a Good Repair Contractor: Keep Fiber Cement Prices Under Control
- Siding Cost and Contractors
- Home Siding Products and Long-term Costs: The Bottom Line
- Home Siding: Where You Live Determines What You Pay
- DIY Repairs and Fiber Cement Cost
- How to Figure Fiber Cement Cost for your DIY Project
- Save Money on Your Vinyl Siding Cost: Do the Job Yourself
- Cleaning vs. Replacement: Keeping Vinyl Siding Prices Down
- DIY Vinyl Siding Cost: How Much Should You Figure for Labor?
- Why Are Fiber Cement Prices Higher?
- Fiber cement cost: how much of the price is materials?
- Vinyl Siding Cost Factors: Keeping the Lid on Lead Paint
- Vinyl Siding Cost Savings: Energy-Efficiency and More
- Cost of Vinyl Siding: Three Ways to Stay on Budget
- Quality Determines How Much New Vinyl Siding Costs
- How Much Does Vinyl Siding Cost? The Bottom Line.
- How to Keep the Cost of Vinyl Siding Projects Down
- Tips to Help You Research Vinyl Siding Costs
- Evaluating Contractor Markups on Vinyl Siding
- Vinyl Siding Costs: Comparing Premium vs. Value
- Negotiating for Your Vinyl Siding Cost Estimate
- Vinyl Clapboard vs. Vinyl Cedar Shake Siding: Cost Discussion
- Vinyl Siding - Costs are Low, Style is High
- Vinyl Siding Cost - Brand Comparisons
- Vinyl Siding Cost Factors Fluctuate with the Economy