Insulated vinyl siding: A hot idea for keeping homes cool
When people hear the word "insulation," thoughts of freezing temperatures and severe winters usually come to mind. After all, a home's insulation level is only an issue when it's located in a part of the country that has cold weather, right? Actually, having a building shell that's adequately insulated can help lower summer energy costs just as it does when using a furnace during the winter.
Insulated vinyl siding: It's not just for cold weather homes
What exactly does insulation do for your home? First, you need to understand a basic law of physics: Hot air normally gravitates toward adjacent cooler air. This is why the air inside a home being heated during the winter gradually moves toward unconditioned spaces such as attics, garages, and the outside. Insulation is used as a barrier to help prevent the air you're paying to heat from passing through your home's outer shell or envelope to those unconditioned areas.
The amount of protection in a home's outer shell is measured by "R-value." Energy Star defines R-value as a measurement of a material's "ability to resist air flow." Materials with higher R-values offer more resistance when air attempts to pass through space they occupy. That means that a home with the recommended R-values for its region in its exterior walls, attic, and basement should keep heated air inside during the cold winter months.
So what does all of this have to do with houses in southern climes where air-conditioning is important and furnaces seldom used? The same law of physics applies to the hot summer air outside your home -- it's attracted to the inside air you're paying to cool. The barrier created by your home's outer shell works to keep that hot air outdoors and reduces the load on your air-conditioning system -- and that can result in lower summer energy costs.
Is there an easy method for increasing the R-value of your home's exterior walls? The outer shell of a typical house may consist of these elements:
- Sheetrock or interior wall finish material
- Wood framing
- Intermediate sheathing
- Exterior siding
While all of these materials contribute to the total R-value rating of your home's outer envelope, there's only one that can easily be upgraded: the exterior siding.
If you're unsure whether the shell of your warm weather home meets the recommended R-value for the region, installing insulated vinyl siding can be an easy and budget-friendly method for providing a boost. Styles such as CertainTeed's CedarBoards Insulated vinyl siding can increase your home's exterior R-value by as much as 2.7. If you live in a warm weather area, help get your summer energy costs under control by using insulated vinyl siding to keep hot air outside where it belongs.
- Vinyl siding cost: Is spring the cheapest time for installation?
- Vinyl siding: sometimes it just makes dollars and cents
- Planning a siding installation? Sooner may be better than later
- Vinyl siding costs: 5 architectural influencers
- Insulated siding: local programs offer financial assistance
- Save on vinyl siding: install in the fall
- New vinyl siding: finding the best kind
- 5 best reasons to buy premium-gauge vinyl siding
- Exterior siding cost: How much is installation labor?
- 3 top veneers -- with siding costs to match
- Protect your vinyl siding cost: Use pre-screened contractors
- R-value and your vinyl siding cost
- Waterproofing: Add it to your siding cost
- Increased energy efficiency could affect vinyl siding prices
- 3 tips for negotiating vinyl siding costs with contractors
- Installation charges and total siding cost
- The truth about contractor markup and siding cost
- One stop shopping saves on siding cost
- Does redwood fit into your siding cost budget?
- Better vinyl siding: cost for repairs less likely
- Siding cost: include water intrusion prevention
- 3 little-known tips for finding lowest vinyl siding prices
- How fascia trim affects siding cost
- Roll new gutters into vinyl siding cost
- 3 steps to solid vinyl siding cost estimates
- From beginning to end: siding prices add up in the details
- Wood or fiber cement siding? Cost could decide
- Siding cost: vinyl is affordablity winner
- 5 ways to negotiate siding cost
- From bargain to upscale, siding cost makes the grade
- Vinyl siding cost makes faux brick a natural choice
- 3 reasons contractors mark up siding prices
- Have you calculated your long term siding cost?
- 3 negotiation tips to lower fiber cement costs
- Is siding cost your deal-breaker?
- Lower your vinyl siding cost: do 3 tasks yourself
- Keep vinyl siding cost low with aluminum trim
- Wood siding vs. vinyl siding: prices could be a deal-breaker
- 3 crucial aspects of fiber cement prices
- How jobsite conditions affect vinyl siding cost
- How much of your fiber cement cost is labor?
- Fiber cement cost: 3 smart reasons to hire a contractor
- 3 secrets for finding lower vinyl siding prices
- Compare bids for best siding cost and save money
- Decipher fiber cement cost
- Score the best fiber cement prices
- 9 vinyl siding costs your estimate should include
- 3 DIY tips for vinyl siding cost savings
- Tips on siding cost, tax savings and ROI
- By the numbers: Reynolds vinyl siding cost
- How much does Gentek siding cost?
- Include Soffit Installation in your Siding Cost for Long-Term Savings
- What Do Your Vinyl Siding Prices Include?
- How much does Alcoa siding cost?
- Find a Good Repair Contractor: Keep Fiber Cement Prices Under Control
- Siding Cost and Contractors
- Home Siding Products and Long-term Costs: The Bottom Line
- Home Siding: Where You Live Determines What You Pay
- DIY Repairs and Fiber Cement Cost
- How to Figure Fiber Cement Cost for your DIY Project
- Save Money on Your Vinyl Siding Cost: Do the Job Yourself
- Cleaning vs. Replacement: Keeping Vinyl Siding Prices Down
- How Safety Affects Your Fiber Cement Cost
- DIY Vinyl Siding Cost: How Much Should You Figure for Labor?
- Why Are Fiber Cement Prices Higher?
- Fiber cement cost: how much of the price is materials?
- Vinyl Siding Cost Factors: Keeping the Lid on Lead Paint
- Vinyl Siding Cost Savings: Energy-Efficiency and More
- Cost of Vinyl Siding: Three Ways to Stay on Budget
- Quality Determines How Much New Vinyl Siding Costs
- How Much Does Vinyl Siding Cost? The Bottom Line.
- How to Keep the Cost of Vinyl Siding Projects Down
- Tips to Help You Research Vinyl Siding Costs
- Evaluating Contractor Markups on Vinyl Siding
- Vinyl Siding Costs: Comparing Premium vs. Value
- Negotiating for Your Vinyl Siding Cost Estimate
- Vinyl Clapboard vs. Vinyl Cedar Shake Siding: Cost Discussion
- Vinyl Siding - Costs are Low, Style is High
- Vinyl Siding Cost - Brand Comparisons
- Vinyl Siding Cost Factors Fluctuate with the Economy