Save Money on Your Vinyl Siding Cost: Do the Job Yourself
According to the Vinyl Siding Institute the cost of 100 square feet of installed siding in 2009 was $186.00. Just over half of the price tag went for labor and the rest for materials. By installing the siding yourself, you can save $94.00 on this same area and cut your costs in half.
More good news from the Vinyl Siding Institute is that homeowners who remodel tend to recoup over 80% of the cost of new siding installation. The net result? The value of your home goes up.
Why repair your old siding. Put on new!
Do-It-Yourself Vinyl Siding Cost Reduction
The online Vinyl Siding Installation Manual compiled by the Vinyl Siding Institute provides detailed instructions on every aspect of vinyl siding construction. You can download the manual for free and refer to it as you proceed through the installation process.
Vinyl Siding Installation Equipment
An outlay of vinyl siding equipment may be required. You'll need the following:
- Snap lock punch
- Power saw
- Utility knife
- Tin snips
- Hammer and nail hole slot punch
- Unlocking zip lock tool
Tips for DIY Vinyl Siding Installation
Your goal of reducing vinyl siding cost on the bottom line depends on your skill level. A poor installation job is worse than no installation at all. Here are a few tips to keep your siding project heading in the right direction.
- Be knowledgeable. Read installation guides provided by the Vinyl Siding Institute and the siding manufacturer. Familiarize yourself with the materials and techniques.
- Bring in your friends. If you know someone who has experience in siding, pay or otherwise bribe him into helping.
- Start on the back wall. Practice makes perfect and you should begin with the least noticeable spot on your house.
- Allot plenty of time. This is a long-term project.
Follow instructions. Improvisation will only sabotage the long-term appearance of your home and the functionality of the siding. Do it right the first time.
Your DIY siding project is just waiting to get started.
- Vinyl siding cost: Is spring the cheapest time for installation?
- Vinyl siding: sometimes it just makes dollars and cents
- Planning a siding installation? Sooner may be better than later
- Insulated vinyl siding: A hot idea for keeping homes cool
- Vinyl siding costs: 5 architectural influencers
- Insulated siding: local programs offer financial assistance
- Save on vinyl siding: install in the fall
- New vinyl siding: finding the best kind
- 5 best reasons to buy premium-gauge vinyl siding
- Exterior siding cost: How much is installation labor?
- 3 top veneers -- with siding costs to match
- Protect your vinyl siding cost: Use pre-screened contractors
- R-value and your vinyl siding cost
- Waterproofing: Add it to your siding cost
- Increased energy efficiency could affect vinyl siding prices
- 3 tips for negotiating vinyl siding costs with contractors
- Installation charges and total siding cost
- The truth about contractor markup and siding cost
- One stop shopping saves on siding cost
- Does redwood fit into your siding cost budget?
- Better vinyl siding: cost for repairs less likely
- Siding cost: include water intrusion prevention
- 3 little-known tips for finding lowest vinyl siding prices
- How fascia trim affects siding cost
- Roll new gutters into vinyl siding cost
- 3 steps to solid vinyl siding cost estimates
- From beginning to end: siding prices add up in the details
- Wood or fiber cement siding? Cost could decide
- Siding cost: vinyl is affordablity winner
- 5 ways to negotiate siding cost
- From bargain to upscale, siding cost makes the grade
- Vinyl siding cost makes faux brick a natural choice
- 3 reasons contractors mark up siding prices
- Have you calculated your long term siding cost?
- 3 negotiation tips to lower fiber cement costs
- Is siding cost your deal-breaker?
- Lower your vinyl siding cost: do 3 tasks yourself
- Keep vinyl siding cost low with aluminum trim
- Wood siding vs. vinyl siding: prices could be a deal-breaker
- 3 crucial aspects of fiber cement prices
- How jobsite conditions affect vinyl siding cost
- How much of your fiber cement cost is labor?
- Fiber cement cost: 3 smart reasons to hire a contractor
- 3 secrets for finding lower vinyl siding prices
- Compare bids for best siding cost and save money
- Decipher fiber cement cost
- Score the best fiber cement prices
- 9 vinyl siding costs your estimate should include
- 3 DIY tips for vinyl siding cost savings
- Tips on siding cost, tax savings and ROI
- By the numbers: Reynolds vinyl siding cost
- How much does Gentek siding cost?
- Include Soffit Installation in your Siding Cost for Long-Term Savings
- What Do Your Vinyl Siding Prices Include?
- How much does Alcoa siding cost?
- Find a Good Repair Contractor: Keep Fiber Cement Prices Under Control
- Siding Cost and Contractors
- Home Siding Products and Long-term Costs: The Bottom Line
- Home Siding: Where You Live Determines What You Pay
- DIY Repairs and Fiber Cement Cost
- How to Figure Fiber Cement Cost for your DIY Project
- Cleaning vs. Replacement: Keeping Vinyl Siding Prices Down
- How Safety Affects Your Fiber Cement Cost
- DIY Vinyl Siding Cost: How Much Should You Figure for Labor?
- Why Are Fiber Cement Prices Higher?
- Fiber cement cost: how much of the price is materials?
- Vinyl Siding Cost Factors: Keeping the Lid on Lead Paint
- Vinyl Siding Cost Savings: Energy-Efficiency and More
- Cost of Vinyl Siding: Three Ways to Stay on Budget
- Quality Determines How Much New Vinyl Siding Costs
- How Much Does Vinyl Siding Cost? The Bottom Line.
- How to Keep the Cost of Vinyl Siding Projects Down
- Tips to Help You Research Vinyl Siding Costs
- Evaluating Contractor Markups on Vinyl Siding
- Vinyl Siding Costs: Comparing Premium vs. Value
- Negotiating for Your Vinyl Siding Cost Estimate
- Vinyl Clapboard vs. Vinyl Cedar Shake Siding: Cost Discussion
- Vinyl Siding - Costs are Low, Style is High
- Vinyl Siding Cost - Brand Comparisons
- Vinyl Siding Cost Factors Fluctuate with the Economy