Vinyl Clapboard vs. Vinyl Cedar Shake Siding: Cost Discussion
Vinyl usually calls to mind dull images associated with lower cost and less stylish homes. Since it's inexpensive to install, vinyl siding has long been considered a low-status option. Not so with new products such as vinyl clapboard and cedar shake vinyl siding - cost estimates for these products while still lower than wood, make them a premium choice. The benefit of these products is lasting, color, lower maintenance and greater durability against the elements and insects.
Style: Clapboard vs. Shakes
Vinyl clapboards have come a long way since the '70s. There are many colors to choose from and many accessories for a touch of style. Virtually any color, any shade, any tone is available at your fingertips. Vinyl cedar clapboard costs range from $2.50 to $4.00 per square foot installed .
Vinyl cedar shake siding provides the beauty of traditional wood shake siding--without the required maintenance. Detailed panels range in price based on design, shape, color and shingle patterns. Vinyl cedar shake siding varies in texture and tone.
Basic types of vinyl cedar shake siding cost approximately $4.50 per square foot. Higher pricing also is affected by the style of shake, some of which include scalloped, rough-cut, hand-split and staggered. The higher price (like that of wooden shakes) tends to limit the usage of vinyl shake siding.
Cedar shake vinyl siding gives an authentic wood appearance without:
- need for painting
- maintenance associated with wood
Vinyl Clapboard or Cedar Shake Vinyl Siding Cost Estimates: What to Keep in Mind
When you get quotes, know the answers to these questions:
- Are you removing previous siding?
- Are there any repairs such as water damage beyond the siding layer?
- Will you be damp-proofing your home?
No matter what style you choose, cedar shake or clapboard, vinyl siding costs will pay out in the future.
- Vinyl siding: sometimes it just makes dollars and cents
- Planning a siding installation? Sooner may be better than later
- Insulated vinyl siding: A hot idea for keeping homes cool
- Vinyl siding costs: 5 architectural influencers
- Insulated siding: local programs offer financial assistance
- Save on vinyl siding: install in the fall
- New vinyl siding: finding the best kind
- 5 best reasons to buy premium-gauge vinyl siding
- Exterior siding cost: How much is installation labor?
- 3 top veneers -- with siding costs to match
- Protect your vinyl siding cost: Use pre-screened contractors
- R-value and your vinyl siding cost
- Waterproofing: Add it to your siding cost
- Increased energy efficiency could affect vinyl siding prices
- 3 tips for negotiating vinyl siding costs with contractors
- Installation charges and total siding cost
- The truth about contractor markup and siding cost
- One stop shopping saves on siding cost
- Does redwood fit into your siding cost budget?
- Better vinyl siding: cost for repairs less likely
- Siding cost: include water intrusion prevention
- 3 little-known tips for finding lowest vinyl siding prices
- How fascia trim affects siding cost
- Roll new gutters into vinyl siding cost
- 3 steps to solid vinyl siding cost estimates
- From beginning to end: siding prices add up in the details
- Wood or fiber cement siding? Cost could decide
- Siding cost: vinyl is affordablity winner
- 5 ways to negotiate siding cost
- From bargain to upscale, siding cost makes the grade
- Vinyl siding cost makes faux brick a natural choice
- 3 reasons contractors mark up siding prices
- Have you calculated your long term siding cost?
- 3 negotiation tips to lower fiber cement costs
- Is siding cost your deal-breaker?
- Lower your vinyl siding cost: do 3 tasks yourself
- Keep vinyl siding cost low with aluminum trim
- Wood siding vs. vinyl siding: prices could be a deal-breaker
- 3 crucial aspects of fiber cement prices
- How jobsite conditions affect vinyl siding cost
- How much of your fiber cement cost is labor?
- Fiber cement cost: 3 smart reasons to hire a contractor
- 3 secrets for finding lower vinyl siding prices
- Compare bids for best siding cost and save money
- Decipher fiber cement cost
- Score the best fiber cement prices
- 9 vinyl siding costs your estimate should include
- 3 DIY tips for vinyl siding cost savings
- Tips on siding cost, tax savings and ROI
- By the numbers: Reynolds vinyl siding cost
- How much does Gentek siding cost?
- Include Soffit Installation in your Siding Cost for Long-Term Savings
- What Do Your Vinyl Siding Prices Include?
- How much does Alcoa siding cost?
- Find a Good Repair Contractor: Keep Fiber Cement Prices Under Control
- Siding Cost and Contractors
- Home Siding Products and Long-term Costs: The Bottom Line
- Home Siding: Where You Live Determines What You Pay
- DIY Repairs and Fiber Cement Cost
- How to Figure Fiber Cement Cost for your DIY Project
- Save Money on Your Vinyl Siding Cost: Do the Job Yourself
- Cleaning vs. Replacement: Keeping Vinyl Siding Prices Down
- How Safety Affects Your Fiber Cement Cost
- DIY Vinyl Siding Cost: How Much Should You Figure for Labor?
- Why Are Fiber Cement Prices Higher?
- Fiber cement cost: how much of the price is materials?
- Vinyl Siding Cost Factors: Keeping the Lid on Lead Paint
- Vinyl Siding Cost Savings: Energy-Efficiency and More
- Cost of Vinyl Siding: Three Ways to Stay on Budget
- Quality Determines How Much New Vinyl Siding Costs
- How Much Does Vinyl Siding Cost? The Bottom Line.
- How to Keep the Cost of Vinyl Siding Projects Down
- Tips to Help You Research Vinyl Siding Costs
- Evaluating Contractor Markups on Vinyl Siding
- Vinyl Siding Costs: Comparing Premium vs. Value
- Negotiating for Your Vinyl Siding Cost Estimate
- Vinyl Siding - Costs are Low, Style is High
- Vinyl Siding Cost - Brand Comparisons
- Vinyl Siding Cost Factors Fluctuate with the Economy